Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Shifting

Well, some of the side effects of chemo have caught up with Ava.  She has been weak, nauseous, and her appetite went from huge to tiny.  She gets tired easily when walking around and being near food makes her sick.  We spoke to her nurse this morning and she assured us that all these things - even the delayed reaction - were a normal response. 

We've been hanging closer to our room and pulling her around St. Jude in a wagon.  She isn't miserable all the time, but movement and smells trigger her nausea, so staying put is the best thing right now. 

On Thursday, she will have blood work done and we will get to meet with Dr. Furman (her oncologist) to find out more about how she responded to the first round of chemo. 

Currently, we are unsure how long we will be here at St. Jude.  Our amazing hospital in JC has a St. Jude affiliate, but we don't know if our oncologist will want to keep us here until Beatrice the Rude Tumor (as Ava refers to it) is removed.  There are still so many uncertainties and we are kinda getting used to that as a new normal.

We've been getting lots of packages - most of them filled with goodies for Ava.  If you know Ava, you know how much presents light her up.  Thank you.  Thank you also to those of you who have sent toiletries and other necessities to Holly, Big Bo, and I, sent financial support, and who have organized fundraisers.  Thank you to those of you who are fervently praying for Ava's healing.  Most of all, thank you to the people who are taking care of Lily and Bo while we are away.  It's so disorienting (to put it mildly) to have your family split up, but we rest easier knowing that our people are filling in the gaps. 

*I feel like I am falling into a hole when I start verbalizing my gratitude because I will always leave people out or not do an adequate job, and will never be able to accurately express the level of thankfulness that Holly, Big Bo, and I feel.*

Here is one more photo from today of Ava meeting the therapy dogs!  You all know this made here day.  This is Jake, who we are absolutely 99% certain is Hunter's cousin! 

3 comments:

  1. Casey - I am incredibly sorry you and your wonderful family are having to endure this atrocity. I have been thinking about you all daily. I want you to know that Ava (having never met her) and her spirit and bravery that can be felt all the way here in Charleston, has given me strength through dark times that my family happens to be visiting now as well. Thank you for sharing her spirit with us. I will continue to send love and light and positivity to Ava, you and your family. Once a teammate, always a teammate ~ Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I can't explain how I'm here Only know I am. Tonight when I close my eye's for pray and blessings my words will also be for Ava a beautiful brave girl from across the miles. I pray for her positive strength with all good blessings through God's grace. Feeling humble to of even ended up here and read the words of folk I haven't a clue about. Your writing's have touched my heart. Speedy recovery Ava x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Wed. Morning!! ��for a better day, for those side effects to be minimal, for good reports from this round of chemo. Chemo ain’t fun, but....it...is...doable.....hang in there, all of you, through this journey and the ups and downs. And know all your many prayer warriors have got you covered!!!!👍🙏😁🤗. And thanks for the updates......

    ReplyDelete

1-Year Anniversary of Clear Scans

   This past weekend, we were so grateful to be able to celebrate the 1-year anniversary of Ava's clear scans.  It is truly hard to beli...